.

.

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Blue Monday by Nicci French

I just finished listening to Blue Monday by Nicci French.  It's the first book in the Frieda Klein series written by husband and wife team, Nicci Gerrard and Sean French.  I liked it very much.  It's a series that I have been meaning to try for quite some time.

Frieda Klein is a psychotherapist, based in London.  She has a patient that has told her of a dream he has been having about a little red-haired boy, a child that he wants as his own.  Frieda is aware that a little red-haired boy, Matthew, has been reported missing and the coincidence leads her to contact the police.  She's drawn into the investigation of the missing boy.  Twenty-two years ago, another child went missing, a little girl.  That child was never found.  Is it all happening again?

I liked the character of Frieda.  She's a reclusive woman who mainly sees patients, listens to their woes, and then walks the streets at night thinking and battling insomnia.  There is obviously much we don't know about her and not a huge amount is revealed in this first book.  I'm looking forward to continuing to explore her character and finding out why she is the way she is.

The mystery itself was interesting, although I did figure out most of the twists before I got to them.  The police DCI, Malcolm Karlsson, that Frieda worked with was also an interesting character that I hope we will see again.  Theirs was not a relationship without turmoil.  He was frustrated and she had a tendency to go off on her own tangents without telling him.

There are two more books in the series Tuesday's Gone and Waiting For Wednesday.  I think the fourth book will be out this year.  Glad to have another dark, twisty series
to explore.    

9 comments:

  1. I've read several Nicci French books but none in this series. Glad to hear you enjoyed it and I'll have to remember this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For years I have wanted to try something by these authors, but I have yet to do so. This does sound good. Maybe one of these days. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard about this author but never read her. I'll try to remember next time I'm at the library. Love good mystery books!

    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the Nicci French team--both their stand-alones and the new series. Thanks to NetGalley, I've read all 3 of the Frieda Klein series and liked them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that this series has been worthwhile for you, Jenclair. I'm looking forward to continuing it.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great start to the series! I'll have to keep an eye out for it at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you liked this one. It's been on my wish list forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this as recommended by Laurel Rain-Snow and enjoyed it. Must read more in the series now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday! I liked Tuesday best, but enjoyed them all. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!