.

.

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon? Yes, please!!



I'm participating today in Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon.  I'm pretty sure I've participated before in years past, but honestly, I can't remember.  In any case, my plan for today is very, very unstructured.  I have no particular stack of books to read.  I have no plan to read for the whole 24 hours.  I'm going to participate as my schedule today allows.  And I will come back afterward or likely tomorrow morning early and update this post with some thoughts on what I read, perhaps some statistics (no promises there though), and a farewell to the April 2015 Read-a-thon.

So, the reading is supposed to begin in my part of the world at 7:00 AM.  I am going ahead and having this post go live at my normal time.  I have volunteered to help out with cheerleading and that will be what part of my time will be spent doing.  I am on Team Mr. Popper!  How fun is that?

The books I'll be listening to and reading are located in my sidebar under 'Currently Reading' and 'Currently Listening To'.  I'll update if I finish either.

Don't think I have any cute little cheers, but I'll be stopping by some blogs to say, "good luck and enjoy, enjoy!".  And it begins...one Saturday in April, just as I thought I had my day planned, I picked up my book and.....

UPDATE at 5:00 PM

Well, I have finished my audiobook and started another one.  Have read only a few pages in my regular book, but I'm OK with that.  I have a lot more time to read on a regular basis than many.  I have cheered and cheered and cheered!  That part has been lots of fun and people are in so many places throughout the world.  Wow!  I took a break this morning, went to the gym, walked and biked and then ran some errands.  I will do a completion post tomorrow morning and it will be a separate post.  That's all for now.  Will see all of you on the flip side or early tomorrow!  Good luck to all and mostly, enjoy yourselves.

32 comments:

  1. I have read 35 pages since I started...about 45 minutes ago. I am hoping to make sure a good percentage of a book I am reviewing is properly read. I also want to get a good portion of some pioneer era recipe books read and part of a Nancy Drew Preschooler is having me read to him. I don't know if I will stay up the whole time (probably not). Good luck in reaching your reading goals today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you as well! Have a great time and remember to take breaks.

      Delete
  2. Good luck on your reading marathon! I've always been to afraid to sign up... knowing that I could never stay awake for 24 hours. LOL or someone might invite me to lunch! Or, or, or!! I should taken it like you did, and just do what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never be able to stay up 24 hours. I'm having fun just listening to a book and cheering. In a while, I'll go out and do some walking and errands. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  3. Happy reading! I didn't come up with any cool cheers either. I haven't started reading yet but I'm hoping to get through at least one book. - Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you, Abby, for coming by! I'm thinking I might be able to finish my audio book today. It's for my book group in a week or so. Off to do more cheering!

      Delete
  4. I'm very glad to see you here today, Kay! Hope you have a wonderful readathon!

    readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your reading! I'm going to try to get some reading in today as well even though I'm not part of the readathon. Can't wait to see what you get read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've mostly been cheering, but I did go to the gym and walked while listening to a book. And I'm about to go back to finish the book. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  6. I'm reading blogs as much as I'm reading books so far today! Oh well, as long as I;m keeping it all bookish :) Happy reading!!!
    (from team Sherlock)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on a cheering mission, Stacy. But I've been to the gym and walked and listened to The Cuckoo's Calling. Really enjoying it. I'm going to take a break from cheering and finish that book in a few minutes.

      Delete
  7. Hope you're enjoying the readathon! Keep up the good work! Happy Reading! ~Team Dorian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by!! I've been out on a cheer mission as well.

      Delete
  8. :) I never participate, but enjoy keeping track of those who do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not doing much reading. Mostly cheering. But that's OK. I get more regular reading time than many others.

      Delete
  9. Participate as much as you can! Make the readathon what you want :) Keep it up! #rahrahreadathon #TeamDorian

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm hopping around cheering as well as much as I'm managing to read - it's just so much fun to see how everyone else is doing, and for me that's the very thing that makes Dewey special: the community :)

    Are you still listening to The Cuckoo's Calling? Is it any good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished listening to The Cuckoo's Calling. It is good and now I'm looking forward to reading The Silkworm, the 2nd book. Not right away, but soon. Thanks for coming by, Camilla!

      Delete
  11. Low pressure bookish events are the best. :) Have fun with whatever reading and such you are doing today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! Thanks for coming by Julie!

      Delete
  12. Thank you for your cheering! It is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such a good time cheering! Better than the reading possibly. Well, maybe not, but close. LOL

      Delete
  13. I love seeing the "banner" I made a few years ago in your post! It makes me happy that you chose it from the collection. As for what I was reading? If you promise not to tell it was Nora Roberts' newest book, The Liar, which Penguin sent me for review. I have to say it was appropriately light for a long week, but nothing I'd choose if my own volition. She's just soooo predictable. Have a lovely day reading, and more so as we head off into the night. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely that the banner was your creation! I had no idea. It's just the one that spoke to me. LOL

      OK, maybe Nora Roberts isn't a good match for you. Glad that you have other things that fit you better. ;-)

      Delete
  14. Glad you've been enjoying cheering! It's one of my favourite parts of the readathon as well. And audiobooks make for such a great option during the readathon, especially in the unspeakable event that you may have to do things on a readathon day! Hope you're enjoying the day and good luck in the second half!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by. I have had a good time today. And the cheering was great!

      Delete
  15. You're incredible at cheering, very encouraging and motivating!

    Leaving you a little cheer:
    Hey book adorer, Explorer of words, Engage in the page by page, Explorer of the worlds, Line by line, You’re doing fine! If you're feeling tired, remember to take a break, grab a snack and stretch those limbs! I am listening to my first audiobook today, its so convenient while I'm cheering. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did awesome it seems like. I'm a little late commenting, but I love that you took breaks during the readathon. Those tiny little breaks are so crucial and can keep one going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true. I would never be able to make 24 hours. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!