.

.

Friday, May 8, 2015

Trekkin' through the Texas Hill Country - Part 2 - the wildflowers...

Yesterday, I shared the first part of our Hill Country trip here.  Today, I'm going to show some pictures of flowers.  Some of these are planted and some grow wild.  We visited the Wildseed Farm between Stonewall and Fredericksburg.  It's a beautiful farm where wildflowers are grown and the seeds harvested for sale.  Of course, lots of other things are sold as well - decorative items, food, pottery and plants.  There is a butterfly garden and fields of flowers that you can walk through.  I enjoyed it so much.  I love the wildflowers that populate this state and have since I was a little girl.  I'm not very good with naming of all of them, but our roadsides are covered in the spring with blooms.  And the colors change depending on which flowers are blooming.  On this trip, most of the flowers were yellow and red.  Earlier, the bluebonnets were the most prevalent.

















The last two pictures were taken in the butterfly garden.  The smell of the blossoms was wonderful.



And, yes, this would be me at the wildflower farm.  It was a beautiful day and I really enjoyed seeing all the flower fields.

It's fitting that wildflowers fields are located near Stonewall and the LBJ Park area.  Lady Bird Johnson was a First Lady that was concerned with beautifying our country through flowers.  That may not seem like a very 'important' goal, but she felt that where flowers bloom, so does hope.  There is a Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin and Texas highways still reap the benefits of her quest to beautify our roadsides with flowers.  There is a children's book about her, Miss Lady Bird's Wildflowers: How A First Lady Changed America.




Tomorrow, I'll share part 3 of our trip - the lovely food that we had at the bed and breakfast.

26 comments:

  1. Wow, the pics are gorgeous! I always love visiting gardens and farms. Thanks for sharing, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful colors! Thanks for the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roadsides are so beautiful with the fields of flowers.

      Delete
  3. Heavenly...... TX flowers..... Because of dear 'Lady Bird'....

    -happy sigh-

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went to the Wildflower Center last Mother's Day. I got packets of wild flower seeds and put them down on the side of my house. Getting some good blooms now. I expect next year will be even better. I need to The Wildseed Farm next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We planted bluebonnet seeds here, but didn't get too many. Think they washed into the pasture behind us. That Wildseed Farm is really beautiful. You should go see it if you get to that area.

      Delete
  5. Aren't the fields of flowers gorgeous? And the butterfly garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why you enjoyed the flower fields - they're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the pic of you, Kay. I clicked and enlarged the pics and the flowers all look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cath. Glad you took a good look at them. They were so lovely.

      Delete
  8. I've never actually been to Texas and my husband and only been to the Houston area which he is not fond of. All the pictures are beautiful and the Wildflower Farm sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe Texas should go on our travel destination list after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, no offense to Houston, but the Austin area is better. It's very humid there and big city and traffic, etc. Austin is the beginning of the Hill Country and is very eclectic. Our slogan is 'Keep Austin Weird'. I love all of Texas, but I'm very partial to Central Texas. Have lived here most of my life.

      Delete
  9. So nice to see a picture of you Kay! Thank you for sharing these and about your experience at the Wildseed Farm. I hadn't heard about it but will have to put it on my list of places to go visit. I live very close to the Lady Bird Wildflower Center and really don't go as often as I should. We did go for the annual plant sale and that was so much fun. I really need to go for a walk along the trails soon before it gets too hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana! I was hesitant. I really don't like to have my picture taken. You would love the Wildseed Farm and it's not that far away from you. Yes, the hot is coming, although was is up with all this rain? It's good, but a little weird. Hope it doesn't mean that we will mega-dry for Jun-Oct.

      Delete
  10. These pictures are all so gorgeous! Sounds like such a good time. I would love to visit there one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had such a good time seeing all of the flowers.

      Delete
  11. Such beautiful photos, Kay! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, so beautiful. The only only place I've been in Texas is Houston, which I enjoyed, but I may need to go back for the hills and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would like our Hill Country. Houston has many positive things about it, but it's not the same. :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!