.

.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

BBAW - About Melwyk - The Indextrious Reader...



Hello everyone!  Welcome to Day 2 of the Book Blogger Appreciation Week!  Hope all had a good time yesterday looking around at new blogs and finding out what 5 books (or more) described each blogger.  Harry Potter probably won the contest, but so many books shared, lots of them new to me.  It was great!

Today is Interview Another Blogger Day - if you so choose.  I'm happy to have been paired with Melwyk of The Indextrious Reader.  She's a librarian from Southern Ontario, Canada and we discovered several things we have in common.  Really an amazing number of things.  We decided to answer the same questions, so you'll find my answers on her blog here.  And away we go.....





Melwyk says...

1.  I notice you’ve been blogging for a long time – how did you originally get into the blogging world and what was different about it then as opposed to now?

I started my blog in the Spring of 2006 – in fact, my 10 year blogging anniversary is coming up! Blogging was still relatively new then, and there weren't so many of us – I felt like I knew of most of the active bloggers at that time.  I agree with you that there was a lot of excitement over ARCs and free books, although I wasn't nearly as excited by that as many others were, being a librarian and surrounded by free books every day... :)

I found that there were ups and downs to blogging, kind of a cycle of blogging a lot, and then having long fallow periods.  I never intended to blog as a money-making venture, so started with no 'goals' or expectations for myself, and I've continued that way, only blogging when I want to.  I'm not fussed over my number of followers etc., I just keep blogging because I love books and like talking about them to other readers.

I also enjoy discovering things through other people who have different tastes than I do, and find some reading challenges are fun this way – although something else I've learned in 10 years of blogging is not to over commit to reading challenges, as then my reading starts to feel like a chore rather than just a joy.  I think newer bloggers are more active in challenges than long-time ones, but it is also harder to find a large community for a challenge now simply because there are so many more challenges and bloggers than there were previously when a specific reading challenge would take over all the blogs.


2.  We’ve both worked in libraries – what is your favorite part of being a librarian?

There are lots of satisfying elements to my job, including finding information for people that will make their lives easier, whether that's community information or technology help and so on.  But on a personal note, although it may seem stereotypical, I do love sharing reading best!  Not every librarian works directly with books or readers, but my path has given me that chance.  I'm very invested in Readers' Advisory, a library term that covers all of our services focused on connecting readers with books.  Whether that is book lists, blogging, displays, book clubs, or conversations and suggestions directly to readers, or even working with new technology to improve all these areas, it's my favourite part of the job.  I'm a part of our provincial association's committee on Readers' Advisory, and I love that I can help provide training and inspiration to librarians as well as our patrons.

It's also great seeing all the new books and the upcoming catalogues – it feeds my professional life and also my own book blog!


3.  What is the one book that you’d put into every patron’s hands if you could?  Or several books?

Oh my, this is a tough one.  I really focus on a patron's needs, and their likes and dislikes when I'm suggesting books – the number one rule of Readers' Advisory is “it's not about you!”  That said, if I was given the chance to push some of my own favourites, I think I'd pick a recent novel, Birdie by Tracey Lindberg, because it's wonderfully written and is also told from a really important perspective.

If I added any more titles, this answer would get far too long, so I'll stop there.


4.  I love reading books that have vivid settings, almost like another character.  What setting from a book would you visit if you could and tell us the book it’s connected with.

Do you ever have that feeling when you remember being somewhere, and when you're trying to recall where it was, you suddenly realize that it was a book?  No?  It happens to me all the time.  And it drives me crazy if I can't place it.

I do have a couple of go-to locations; one is from Thomas Hardy's Return of the Native – there's a scene when one of the characters is standing in a field with no-one around for miles, overlooking a pond.  It feels very quiet & calm, very sunny and still.  When I feel stressed, I think of that spot.

But for a place to actually go and visit, I always think that Avonlea or Redmond or Four Winds from the Anne of Green Gables series would be a lot of fun to hang out in.  All the people are interesting, and there is always some kind of picnic or social going on...


5.  What do you do when you’re not working or blogging?  Other hobbies or interests?

Working and reading/blogging does take up a fair amount of my time, but my other big passion is sewing.  I love sewing garments -- only for myself, though, I don't want to sew as a business for anyone else.  I am now learning embroidery as well. I find sewing quite mathematical and challenging, in a good way.  It is also a time-consuming hobby, though...I just wish I had more hours for it all!


6.  Lastly, and I think this should be part of every set of questions, what’s your favorite ice cream flavor?  Describe vividly.  LOL

Ha, good question!  I am going to sound very dull here, but my absolute favourite ice cream flavour is vanilla!  A nice, rich variety with just a hint of vanilla is perfect on its own but also makes a great base for any other toppings you want to add, and that's where my obsession with chocolate usually makes its appearance.  Hot fudge on vanilla ice cream is perfection.  Okay great, now I want some.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Melwyk, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on these questions!  I love the fact that you are learning embroidery.  How relaxing!  And I especially like your answer to the last question - I meant it when I said it should be part of every quiz.  Vanilla ice cream with hot fudge, yum, yum, yum!!  I had a good time with today's part of BBAW and hope you did too.  Everyone, go visit Melwyk's blog, The Indextrious Reader.  You know you're dying to know what flavor of ice cream that I love!

Tomorrow's topic is what books we've found and loved by reading other blogs.  Bet no one has anything to say about that!!!  Ha!  Ha!

52 comments:

  1. "That feeling when you remember being somewhere, and when you're trying to recall where it was, you suddenly realize that it was a book." Yay, I'm not crazy!!! This happens to me all the time, too.
    I love your questions and the long detailed answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did such a good job, didn't she? And I loved that phrase too and have had that feeling. LOL

      Delete
  2. Good point about reader advisory not being about you ... Still I think it'd be a satisfying challenge. Wouldn't it be fun to visit Prince Edward Island in the era of Anne?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about that aspect of reader advisory. Sometimes it's a little hard to determine exactly what the person is looking for, especially when they say something like 'I want that new book by that author that has a lot of books'.

      Delete
    2. Or, "it was blue..." :) Yes, we work hard at it, don't we Kay?

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued with the idea that this blogger has been writing for ten years! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, 10 years is a long time in the blogging world! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too, Kathy. A definitely accomplishment!

      Delete
    2. You must be close to 10 years also, Bermudaonion -- I feel like you've been around a while!

      Delete
  5. I love that you've been blogging so long, Melwyk! I'm very much the same, not with the amount of time blogging, but with not paying any interest to numbers and such. I very much book blog to share and connect.

    You can never go wrong with vanilla ice cream!

    Reading With Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great to find how other bloggers have such similarities to us? I love that.

      Delete
    2. It is great to connect! I find that if you start paying a lot of attention to hits and numbers it can kill the joy of writing and sharing. A balance between the two is a good thing to find.

      Delete
  6. Ten years, that's awesome! Congrats to Melwyk for that! And y'all both make working in libraries sound so cool and fun -- I bet y'all are great at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working in libraries is fun, most of the time. Who wouldn't love being surrounded by books?

      Delete
  7. I love the book advisory idea, I think book stores should have librarians also. Almost 10 years of blogging, way to go. I so understand about the settings and then you remember, sheeesh that was a book, you can only smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, some bookstores do. If you are ever in Lincoln, Nebraska, go to Barnes and Noble and ask for Lesley. She's great and blogs at Prairie Horizons. Just a little plug.

      Delete
  8. We typically buy plain vanilla ice cream (Blue Bell's Homestyle Vanilla), but I love topping it with caramel. YUM!! :)

    Love how much y'all have in common! I used to live in Ontario as well--though closer to Toronto. And amazing that in all these years of blogging...likely in similar circles that I've never come across Melwyk before! I love these events for bringing folks together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that funny - Canada and Texas - so far apart and no so much. Glad you can buy Blue Bell's Vanilla again, right? Hey, I heard so other flavors are going to be out soon.

      Delete
  9. Nice post, Kay. Enjoy Book Blogger Appreciation Week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much fun to interview you, Kay, and find so much common ground! Looking forward to catching up on all your previous posts now that I've found you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet. Oh, and feel free to answer any of these commenters yourself. They are all so impressed with your longevity! :-)

      Delete
  11. Good interview, went to Amazon to read about Birdie and put it on our list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, even reader advisory over the internet, right? Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I hope you will find it as fascinating as I did!

      Delete
  12. What an interesting idea, and interesting post. I so enjoyed reading it. The answers were thoughtful and well-written. I don't have time just now to go read yours, but will when I have a chance. And I am one of the very few (only?) women who can take or leave ice cream. The only kind I really like is chocolate and the only brand of chocolate for me was Ben & Jerry's, and they stopped making just plain chocolate. So now I eat ice cream even less often. The only substitute that comes close is Three Twins Organic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat it very often any more, Nan. I was so pleased when B&J's came out with those little tiny cups. Not all flavors, of course. She did have some great answers, didn't she? We found all kinds of things in common and she's more in your part of the world than mine.

      Delete
  13. I'm so impressed by people who can sew! Seems like an awesome life skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Me too. I can sew nothing. I even have trouble with buttons. Mostly, my husband will do it. LOL

      Delete
  14. I love Vanilla too, many find it boring, but I find it to be such a versatile flavor that goes well with so many things!

    Will surely check out Birdie. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think vanilla is great, especially vanilla bean for a stronger flavor. Glad that some are checking out Melwyk's book suggestions.

      Delete
  15. I'm having so much fun reading interviews today! It's great how BBAW is helping us reconnect with bloggers we might have kept up with once but lost track of, as happened to me with Melwyk's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great interview and 10 years of blogging is seriously impressive! How fun to discover you have so much in common!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun as we kept finding things as we were chatting. And 10 years - yes, very impressive indeed.

      Delete
  17. Great interview! I also visited Melanie's to read about you and your answers. This BBAW is fun; sorry I missed signing up this year. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rita, and I'm glad you visited both of our blogs. It is fun this year. Hopefully, they will be doing it again in 2017!

      Delete
  18. (The Typo Monster made me delete the previous comment...lol.)

    What a fascinating and FUN interview! I loved learning all those facts about Melwyk! And the questions were terrific!! It was also great to find out that Melwyk has been blogging for 10 years. I've been blogging for five going on six. This gives me hope for the future, ha ha!

    I also liked the Book Advisory thing.

    Now on to Melwyk's blog to find out about you!!

    Thanks so much for visiting my two blogs, Kay, and commenting on each!! Much appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having such a good time with BBAW this week, Maria. Happily, I've had a bit of extra time to visit around.

      Delete
  19. How lovely to read this interview - I'm loving your posts this week for BBAW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And more to come, Cleo. I had a good time preparing for it. Something a little different, but a positive thing for sure.

      Delete
  20. Melwyk and I started blogging in the same year. :-) It's always nice to know fellow bookbloggers through interviews like this. Now hopping on to Melwyk's blog to read your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I'm not sure I knew you had been blogging for that long, Melody. I'm so glad that this event is introducing all of us to new friends.

      Delete
  21. This interview is terrific, too! I think Melwyk's personality really comes out in this interview, as well as through her thoughtful blog, of which I am a fan. Kudos to Kay and Melwyk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Suko! I think we had fun.

      Delete
  22. Fun learning a bit about Melwyk! That sounds like a wonderful job at the library. I love high-quality vanilla, the more beans the better, but with yummy toppings too. It's so important to know about one's ice cream tastes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanilla beans are the best or rather vanilla bean ice cream. I totally agree - ice cream taste are crucial. LOL

      Delete
  23. Oh, hot fudge - my favorite on ANY kind of ice cream. Fun interview ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!