.

.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

The Graves - Pamela Wechsler

The Graves by Pamela Wechsler


First Paragraph:

Ten years in the district attorney's office has taught me to never let down my guard, even here on Beacon Hill.  Walking on West Cedar Street, I detect the first signs of danger--footsteps and cigarette smoke.  No one from this neighborhood smokes anymore, at least not in public.  It could be a stray tourist checking out the gas lanterns and cobblestone streets, but I reach in my tote and search for my canister of pepper spray--just in case.  A gloved hand covers my mouth.  I start to pivot around but someone yanks my shoulder and pulls me in.
     'Give it up,' he says.
     I'm relieved.  It's just a mugging.


My Thoughts:

I very much enjoyed this second book in Pamela Wechsler's series featuring Abby Endicott, Chief of the Boston DA's Homicide Division. It read very, very quickly and I was totally engrossed in the story. Abby is up against a number of issues in THE GRAVES. There is a serial killer on the loose, targeting young women at various universities in the area, her boss, the DA, is running for Mayor and Abby is mentioned as his possible successor, and her family is still making her life difficult by disapproving of her job and her significant other, Ty. Abby is a very good prosecutor - not such a good organizer of her own life. Once again, she ignores most everything but getting justice for the victims' families. I hope that this series continues because I'd like to visit Abby's Boston life once again. Recommended.


Blurb:

Abby Endicott, the chief of the District Attorney’s homicide unit in Boston, returns in the heart-racing follow-up to Mission Hill. Things are looking good for Abby: she’s top pick to be the next District Attorney, and her musician boyfriend Ty has moved in, despite her upper crust family’s objections. But a serial killer is on the loose, and with two college-aged girls dead and another missing, time is running out. When the sons of a prominent government official are linked to the murders, Abby pushes back, stopping at nothing to find justice for the girls. This time, the killer could be right under her nose, and she may be the next victim.

2 comments:

  1. I read the first one, now need to read this one. I enjoy a legal thriller (with a female protagonist the best). Young woman should remember intelligence is way sexier than new clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I like mysteries a lot, I typically don't read legal thrillers. Reading about this series though sounds promising!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!