.

.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Magpie Murders - Anthony Horowitz

Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz


First Paragraph:

A bottle of wine.  A family-sized packet of Nacho Cheese Flavoured Tortilla Chips and a jar of hot salsa dip.  A packet of cigarettes on the side (I know, I know).  The rain hammering against the windows.  And a book.
     What could have been lovelier?


My Thoughts:

Loved this book.  Truly.  Of course, the author, Anthony Horowitz, is one I've admired for quite a while.  The creator of  not only Alex Rider, YA detective/spy, but also Foyle's War, as well as other TV and mystery tales.  What's not to love?  I listened to this book, which was narrated by Allan Corduner and Samantha Bond.  Both did an excellent job.  It was a little long on audio, almost 16 hours, but I was in the mood for a nice long listen.  If you're a fan of Agatha Christie or of traditional mysteries in general, I think you'd like this one.  So very clever.  Lots of references to other authors and books.  It had the feel of Christie's books set in small villages in the past, but it was told in the present day.  I thought the author's 'book within a book' and 'mystery within a mystery' was great fun.  Definitely recommended!


Blurb:

When editor Susan Ryeland is given the manuscript of Alan Conway’s latest novel, she has no reason to think it will be much different from any of his others. After working with the bestselling crime writer for years, she’s intimately familiar with his detective, Atticus Pünd, who solves mysteries disturbing sleepy English villages. An homage to queens of classic British crime such as Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers, Alan’s traditional formula has proved hugely successful. So successful that Susan must continue to put up with his troubling behavior if she wants to keep her job.

Conway’s latest tale has Atticus Pünd investigating a murder at Pye Hall, a local manor house. Yes, there are dead bodies and a host of intriguing suspects, but the more Susan reads, the more she’s convinced that there is another story hidden in the pages of the manuscript: one of real-life jealousy, greed, ruthless ambition, and murder.

Masterful, clever, and relentlessly suspenseful, Magpie Murders is a deviously dark take on vintage English crime fiction in which the reader becomes the detective.

6 comments:

  1. I read just the first few sentences of your comments, as I haven't read the book as yet, but I'll come back to your review after I have finished! Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this one, too. Funny thing...I didn't even put together that Anthony Horowitz is the same person who writes the Alex Rider books. Ha! I need to pay closer attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I'm not a big mystery reader, but this one caught my eye. Glad to know you recommend it... will give it a try. The big question is whether to read or listen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this on the shelf and greatly look forward to it. Will come back and read this afterwards. I'm tickled there is a book we 'share.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really charming. I love the Agatha Christie mysteries even though I haven't read that many, so I think this is one for my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to reading it in our MBC!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!