.

.

Friday, May 18, 2018

Malice Domestic 30 - The winners!....and a wrap up...




First of all, thank you so much sticking with me as I revisited my time at Malice Domestic 30.  I've enjoyed putting these posts together and today is the final one.  You may be wondering - who won the the Agathas?  Well, we'll get there.

Let's start with the Awards Dinner.  As an attendee, you get an email telling you the individuals or groups that will be hosting a table at the special dinner.  You get to give them your top 3 choices.  Last year, I sat at Lori Rader-Day's table.  This year, I asked for the table hosted by Laura Oles - one of the new authors nominated for 'Best First Novel'.  Her nominated book is Daughters of Bad Men.  I had not met Laura before, but I knew from the info on her website that she hails from my area of the world.  In fact,  I live north of the Austin area and she lives south, but not that far apart.



This is a picture of Laura (R) and yours truly (L) taken by her husband prior to our meal.  She is just lovely and we got to visit for several minutes.  I told her that I selected her table because I noticed several authors from Texas and thought I would fit right in.  Her book is set in the fictional town of 'Port Alene, TX' (based on Port Aransas, TX) right on the Gulf Coast.  Laura said that she and her family had spent a lot of vacation time in Port Aransas and we talked about how that small area was part of the larger area that was devastated by Hurricane Harvey last year.  The library in that small town was completely ruined and remains closed to this day.  I may have more about that at a later date of possible donation opportunities - books or funds.



This was the very nice bag of 'goodies' each person sitting at Laura's table found on their seat.  Very kind of her. 



Some others at Laura's table were (L to R), Laura's mother (so proud of her daughter), author Terry Shames (writes the Samuel Craddock series set in rural Texas), and author Nancy G. West (writes the Aggie Mundeen series set in San Antonio).  The food was good and then came the awards.



A special toast and remarks by Catriona McPherson, Toastmaster.



Lifetime Achievment Award - Nancy Pickard  



The Poirot Award - Brenda Blethyn



Special Amelia Award given to the late Joan Hess
Remarks by Becca King (Joan's daughter) and Beth Mertz (daughter of Barbara Mertz/Elizabeth Peters - creator of Amelia Peabody and this award)



Louise Penny - Best Contemporary Novel



Cindy Callahan - Best Children's/Young Adult Novel



Gigi Pandian - Best Short Story



Mattias Bostrom - Best Nonfiction



Kellye Garrett - Best First Novel



Rhys Bowen - Best Historical Novel

--------------------------------------------------------

I guess that's about all I have to tell.  Hope this wasn't too, too long.  If you'd like to see a list of all the nominated books, look here.  Thank you for stopping by and reading about my adventure.  Feel free to ask any questions or make any comments.  And I encourage you to think about attending a mystery conference if this looks fun.  It's amazing and tiring and quite an experience.  And next week, back to our regularly scheduled programming.  Ha! 

32 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure with us, Kay! It sounds like both a fun and a wonderful event and you're so lucky to have met so many awesome authors! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed them, Melody.

      Delete
  2. Actually meeting authors whose books you've enjoyed and listening to panel discussion? What mystery reader wouldn't jump at the chance? Thanks for the vicarious adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Jenclair. I wanted to let everyone know what a fun time it was - just in case any of you guys get a chance to go to one.

      Delete
  3. Nice wrap-up, Kay! I loved every vicarious moment of your Malice Domestic posts. What an all-star event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed and thanks for the kind words. Hope you get to attend sometime.

      Delete
  4. These have been really fun posts, Kay! I've never been to a convention like this, so I'm glad I got to experience it through your posts. While a lot of these authors are new to me, I do love Louise Penny's books and Nancy Pickard's The Scent of Rain and Lightning is one of my favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't say so, but I did get to meet Nancy Pickard as well. The anthology that was printed to debut at this conference was edited or presented by Nancy. She signed my copy. I haven't read the Rain and Lightning book, but I have enjoyed The Virgin of Small Plains. And Louise's books are my favorites of all time. She's wonderful to listen to.

      Delete
  5. You know a long time ago I attended a RWA conference and that was a lot of fun even if I wasn't a big romance reader. I would love to go to one of the mystery conferences though as I would know many more authors. That's great that you go to sit with some Texas authors! My book club read Terry Shames first novel earlier this year but unfortunately due to my class I wasn't able to attend the discussion. I think she may have been in attendance too. Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your experience at Malice Domestic. It sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Iliana! Our mystery group is reading books set in Texas for August. I'm thinking that all these authors from Texas would be perfect.

      Delete
  6. I knew I'd heard of Nancy Pickard - she wrote The Virgin of Small Plains which I enjoyed so much. Thank you again for all these wonderful posts, Kay. I admire your bravery going to this on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cath! Yes, I loved The Virgin of Small Plains as well.

      Delete
  7. Oh guess what? Reading/read 3 of the above for our June meeting. Again such great pictures. You look great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Gayle. Looking forward to hearing what you thought about them.

      Delete
  8. Even though I'm not a big mystery reader, I've enjoyed your posts this week. Thanks for sharing your experiences... and btw, you look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn! And I think most of us like hearing about fun book events regardless of the genre, right?

      Delete
  9. Nice to see a mix of authors win the prizes and not just the well known superstars! I guess you'll be going back next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not for next year. There's another conference closer to home that I might attend. I am going to try to go to Left Coast Crime (another conference) in San Diego, spring of 2020.

      Delete
  10. This was a nice end to your trip, with dinner and watching people get awards. I have read one book by Terry Shames, the first in her series and it was very good. I only had a minor problem with the story being told in present tense. But I do have the 2nd book to read. And I seem to have adjusted to present tense in the Elly Griffiths book I just finished, so maybe that won't bother me in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't seem to have the same issue with the present tense, but I know that many do.

      Delete
  11. I've so enjoyed reading your Malice Domestic posts the last two years that I'm really considering going next year. I need to do some research on dates and travel time but if I can make it work I'm going to try an do it! If not next year than the year after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should consider going, Katherine. Bet you have a really good time.

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much for taking us with you! I love the pic of you and Laura. You're looking good Kay :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have loved every one of these posts. I just bought the first in the Samuel Craddock series - I had not heard of these books. And, oh, you heard Elizabeth Peters' daughter. How I LOVED the Amelia books. And you look so beautiful. I didn't tell you when I saw you but I adore the haircut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was very happy to get to hear Beth Mertz. Glad they highlighted her mother's involvement with Malice. And thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  14. Thank you for sharing, Kay. It sounds like such a great time. I plan to check out several of these authors in the future. And maybe one day I will make it to a mystery convention. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give a little tip to you - Left Coast Crime, another mystery convention, will be in San Diego in March of 2020. Just saying...I'm thinking seriously about going.

      Delete
  15. Great wrap-up to what I'm sure was a fabulous event! Thanks for sharing all the details with us. By the way, you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely loved reading all about your time at this amazing event. You out-did yourself with the photos, which I'm glad you did. I feel like I was there with you. You gave me a great list of new-to-me authors that I want to try. However. before I read them, you have challenged me to read a Margaret Maron mystery - an author I have overlooked. The library only had a few of her books on audio, so I asked for Three Day Town. I'll let you know what I think. Thanks for inspiring me, and thanks for sharing your trip with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Margot, and thanks so much for the kind words. Yes, I was carrying my phone everywhere and snapping photos. Hope you enjoy the Maron book. As I recall, that particular book is one of the later ones in the Deborah Knott series and in it, she meets Maron's other protagonist. Good luck!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!